What if you could turn off one little square on your computer monitor?
The Black Pixel Project by Greenpeace does exactly that (and saves a little energy and money in the process).
Created to save energy on plasma and tube (CRT) screens, the Black Pixel Project places a small black square on the top of all your windows.
You can then move the black square anywhere on the screen, where it will keep count of the energy you are saving (about 0.057 watts per hour).
So far, 110,345 watts have been saved — the same as 1,003 color TVs or 1,226 fridges, turned off for an hour.
The only question left is whether or not your monitor is compatible… find out here.
- Greenpeace is an independent global campaigning organization that acts to change attitudes and behavior, to protect and conserve the environment and to promote peace.
- Organization Type: Non-Profit
- Website: www.greenpeace.org
- Founder(s): Irving Stowe, Paul Coté and Jim Bohlen
- Founded: 1971
- Location: International HQ: Amsterdam, Netherlands
- See complete company list here